Friday, November 7, 2008

Deer Hunt - Opening Day Editorial

Okay, so it opened at noon which obligated me to trek through the Fish & Game land across the road for two hours in the snow...bottomline, lots 'o tracks, five beds, coyotes & grouse but no deer sighted.  Ended the trek at 3:30pm on my own land to note tracks (~6) and trails (3) and returned home without seeing a deer.  Shoveled the sidewalk and steps, put an outside hook on the treehouse/deerstand to keep the window open and an inside hook on the door to keep it closed.  Refilled the feed trough across the field with cracked corn, oats and sweetfeed and went in the house to put food in my belly.  Sunset is 5:18pm up here and you can hunt until a half hour after that.  I set-up shop in the deerstand for the last hour of opening day with the feed pile out at 175 yards.  This is definitely the lazy man's way to hunt - C'mon, I've got a blankey over me!  Pretty much thought it was over when sunset (5:18pm) arrived and there was nothing in sight..but oh wait, what's that in the trees to the west @ 300 yards, it's a doe and she's scratching at the first feed pile that's all but eaten up.  It took her 10 minutes to sashay down to the main feed pile and I'm asking myself, "is this fish in a barrel"?  Yes, it is but I decide to wait and see what develops, afterall it's 5:28pm and I'm legal for another 20 minutes.  Lo and behold what's this, another doe and her yearling coming in low from the west.  The greeting from the first doe is unpleasant and she runs the both of them off - they wait for their turn by keeping a 20 yard distance from the first doe who has now been eating for 15 minutes.  But why are all three of them constantly looking to the west?  Five minutes later here's why, Mr. Big Buck comes sauntering in to take the trough over for himself.  I basically watch him fill-up as the shooting time expires and the three does wait in the wings for him to finish.  It's 6:00pm now and I'm hungry so I grab my gun, my binoculars, my blankey and sneak my way quietly back to the house.  It starts again at 7:07am tomorrow morning, one half hour before sunrise.  This is fun!

No comments: